Edna Whyte lives and works on the island of Luing, south of Oban in Argyll. Born in 1930, she studied at Kingston College of Art and the Royal College of Art in London. On completion of her studies, she was awarded scholarships by Punch, the Salzburg Seminar In American Studies, and the Goldsmiths' Company, London. She then worked as a book designer and illustrator (for the Folio Society publications., and the BBC); taught at the Merchant Taylors' School for Girls (Liverpool), and lectured at Edgehill College in Lancashire. She co-directed the Residential School at Achnamara, Argyll with Audrey Stone, her business partner. During the 1970s and 1980s she established a Design, Prints and Graphics business known as Old Rectory Designs, and with her partner ran the award-winning Buttery Restaurant and Gallery on Luing. She began painting again full-time in 1990.
Earlier exhibitions were shown at the Folio Society gallery in London. Since 1990, she has exhibited with Judith Paris and Richard Demarco in Edinburgh; with the Hughson Gallery, the William Hardie Gallery and the Lillie Art Gallery (solo exhibition in 1995) in Glasgow; and with the MacLaurin Gallery in Ayr (1993, 1996, 1999). Her work has also been shown (December 1998 - January 1999) at the Centro Cultural, Sao Lourenco, Almancil, Portugal. This gallery holds her work.