My training as a printmaker using traditional and experimental methods has greatly influenced my concern with making images.
I have always been interested in shape and textures, in simplicity and the tension between realism and abstraction.
Most of my works are transformations of my interest in landscape/nature/objects and their reduction into marks, symbols and compositions - the distillation of matter into basic imagery.
- 1976-1979 - B.A. (Hons) Fine Art, Preston Polytechnic.
- 1979-1980 - M.A. Printmaking, Manchester Polytechnic.
- 1980 - Part-Time Lecturer, Manchester Polytechnic.
- 1981 - Appointed Full-time Lecturer in Printmaking, Grays School of Art.
- 1996 - Visiting Lecturer, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, M.F.A. Course, Dundee.
- 1992 - Shell Expro Award.
- 1992 - Scottish Arts Council Project Assistance Award to study Lithography at the Tamarind Institute in New Mexico.
- 1996 - Glasgow Print Studio Publication Award.
- With an Eye to the East, Print Folio, Seagate Gallery, Dundee, Scottish Arts Council.
- 1991 - SSA Centenary Print Folio, Print.
- 1994 - Design for Etched and Printed Panels, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Intensive Therapy Unit.
- 2000 - P&O North Sea Ferries, Print.
- Newhall Art Collection, Cambridge University
- Aberdeen Art Gallery
- Scottish Arts Council
- Grampian Television
- BBC Scotland, Glasgow
- Leeds Education Authority
- Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- Dunfermline NHS Trust
- Edinburgh Hospital Trust
- Shell Oil, Aberdeen
- Catalogue In Search of Paradise, with essays by Clare Henry and Arthur Watson.
- Brochure, Liminal Moments, Peacock Visual Arts, Aberdeen.
- 1981 - Sutton College of Liberal Arts
- 1984 - Peacock Printmakers, Aberdeen, Prints & Paper Pulps.
- 1996 - Peacock Printmakers, Aberdeen, In Search of Paradise, Prints, Box Constructions and Paper Pulp Works.
- 1997 - In Search of Paradise, Seagate Gallery, Dundee.
- 2000 - Transitions Foyer Gallery, Aberdeen.
- 2002 - Liminal Moments, Peacock Visual Arts, Aberdeen.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 1984 - Papertrails, Bluecoat Gallery, Liverpool.
- 1985 - Peacock 10, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, U.S.A.
- 1985-86 - Smiths Biennale, Stirling, Glasgow.
- 1985-86 - One Cubic Foot, Sculpture Exhibition, Artspace Gallery, Aberdeen.
- 1985-86 - Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh.
- 1986 - New Art from Scotland, Warwick Arts Trust, London.
- 1986 - International Paper Art, Duren, Germany.
- 1986 - Romance, Realism, Risk, Artspace, Aberdeen.
- 1986 - Prints from Peacock Printmakers, Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh.
- 1987 - Paperworks, Ruthin Crafts Centre, Wales.
- 1988-90 - Inverclyde Biennale, Glasgow and touring Scotland.
- 1988 - Avant Garden, Glasgow Print Studio.
- 1989 - Artists Choice, Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh.
- 1993 - Paperworks, Seagate Gallery, Dundee.
- 1995 - Art 95, London Contemporary Art Fair.
- 1996-97 - Scottish Print Open 5, Glasgow Print Studio, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen Print Workshops.
- 1996 - Networking, Edinburgh Festival Exhibition, Edinburgh College of Art.
- 1996 - Peacock 21, Peacock Printmakers, Aberdeen.
- 1996 - Day of the Dead, Glasgow Print Studio.
- 1996 - Dias de los Muertos, Self help Studio, Los Angeles, U.S.A.
- 1997 - Double Exposure, SSA, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
- 1997 - JAR, Seagate Gallery, Dundee.
- 1997 - Miniatures, Peacock Gallery, Aberdeen.
- 1998 - 50 Years of Scottish Art, SAC Exhibition.
- 1998 - Highland and Islands Open Touring Scotland.
- 2000-02 - Monumental Miniatures, Touring Exhibition, Scotland.
- 2000-02 - Hinterland, Print Folio, Touring Internationally.
- 2006 - 20, Joan Hughson Gallery, Glasgow.
Selected Works 11